Kerth O'Brien is interested in social roles, social relationships, and health and well-being. Her research addresses practical questions in field settings from a social psychological perspective. Current research projects address patients' perspectives on patient-provider relationships, the relationship of ethnic density to provider viewpoints on care, and perceived discrimination in healthcare. With past members of her graduate student research team she has investigated social psychological aspects of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM).
- Applied Social Psychology
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Gender Psychology
- Health Psychology
- Life Satisfaction, Well-Being
- Cottrell, E. K., O'Brien, K., Curry, M., Meckler, G. D., Engle, P. P., Jui, J., Summers, C., Lambert, W., & Guise, J. M. (2014). Understanding safety in prehospital emergency medical services for children. Prehospital Emergency Care, 18(3), 350-358.
- Cuevas, A.G., O’Brien, K., & Saha, S. (2016). African American experiences in healthcare: "I always feel like I'm getting skipped over." Health Psychology, 35(9), 987-995. doi:10.1037/hea0000368
- Hansen, M., O'Brien, K., Meckler, G., Cauce, A.M., & Guise, J-M. (2016). Understanding the value of mixed methods research: The Children’s Safety Initiative-Emergency Medical Services (CSI-EMS). Emergency Medicine Journal, 33, 489-494. doi:10.1136/emermed-2015-205277
- O'Brien, K. (1993). Using focus groups to develop health surveys: An example from research on social relationships and AIDS-preventive behavior. Health Education Quarterly, 20(3), 361-370.
- O'Brien, K., Wortman, C. B., Kessler, R. C., & Joseph, J. G. (1993). Social relationships of men at risk for AIDS. Social Science and Medicine, 36(9), 1161-1167.
- Van Beneden, C. A., Modesitt, S., O'Brien, K., Yusem, S., Rose, A., & Fleming, D. (2002). Sex at an urban bathhouse 15 years into the AIDS epidemic. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes, 30(5), 522-526.
- Weir, B. W., Bard, R. S., O'Brien, K., Casciato, C. J., & Stark, M. J. (2008). Violence against women with HIV risk and recent criminal justice system involvement: Prevalence, correlates and recommendations for intervention. Violence against Women, 14(8), 944-960.
- Weir, B. W., O'Brien, K., Bard, R. S., Casciato, C. J., Maher, J. E., Dent, C. W., Dougherty, J. A., & Stark, M. J. (2009). Reducing HIV and partner violence risk among women with criminal justice system involvement: A randomized controlled trial of two Motivational Interviewing-based interventions. AIDS & Behavior, 13(3), 509-522.
- (Graduate) Adult Socialization
- (Graduate) Advanced Applied Social Psychology
- (Graduate) Social Psychology and Mental Health
- (Graduate) Ethics in Psychological Research & Practice
- (Graduate) Survey Research Methods
- Focus Group Research Methods
- Health Psychology
- Psychology of Women
- Social Psychology
Department of Psychology
Portland State University
P.O. Box 751
Portland, Oregon 97207-0751
- Phone: (503) 725-3973